This past week has been stressful, emotional, and challenging. Whether your candidate won or lost, take some time to reevaluate how you participate in politics and practice self care. Below are some helpful tips to help you relax, get inspired, get distracted and/or organize.
- Create a list of all the things you are grateful for. By refocusing on the positives, you help your mind and body adjust to a happier and easier state of being.
- Try not to look at a screen for either 5, 10, or 20 minutes. The bright lights can at times be strenuous for our eyes, and at times the material we are consuming can be strenuous on our souls.
- Listen to your favorite type of music. Feel free to shake things out or be still – both are beneficial!
- Say five positive things about yourself. It’s easy to become critical of yourself, but once you take a step back you realize how amazing you are.
- Cry, laugh, smile, talk, mope, or whatever! Feeling your emotions fully is a wonderful and necessary thing. Take up as much time and space you need to be with your emotions because your feelings are valid!
- “When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid.” – Audre Lorde
- “Pies, ¿para qué los quiero si tengo alas para volar?” – Frida Kahlo
- “You don’t choose the time you live in, but you choose who you want to be. And how you want to think” – Grace Lee Boggs
- “When the world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful” – Malala Yousafzia
- “When you joyfully rebel against your circumstances, against mediocrity or negativity, you invite others into something really beautiful.” – Kid President
A list of organizations you can support
- National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health
- Trans Latina Coalition
- Campaign Zero
- American Civil Liberties Union
- New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault