Banana bread makes everything better. I think this is pretty much an objective truth.
It is delicious (yes!), cheap (double yes!), eco-friendly (what, you were just going to throw away your weird-looking bananas? Shame on you), and best of all, a complete day-maker when you have to wake up bright and early (read: headachy and pissed off) for your 8:40 class and need an extra-special breakfast boost.
But, tragically for all those with funky stomach issues, it is not gluten-free. UNTIL NOW (just kidding, tons of people have made gluten-free banana bread before, this is just my spin on it). This bread is super-moist, super-hearty, will keep you full well into lunchtime (so much protein!), and takes about an hour in total to make (50 minutes of which are just you waiting while it bakes). Eat it with fruit and coffee, eat it with applesauce or jam, eat it with your bare hands straight out of the oven (just, be forewarned, it will be hot). Recipe after the jump.
Easy Gluten-Free Banana Bread
(Grain-Free, Dairy-free, Paleo and SCD-friendly)
Adapted from this recipe
- 3 cups of almond flour (can be found at Trader Joe’s for $3.99/lb. Also, Westside sells the Bob’s Red Mill Brand)
- 2-3 tablespoons of honey (can be more or less, depending on how sweet you like your bread and how ripe your bananas are)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 extra-ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon black pepper (optional, but will seriously blow your mind)
- Any other goodies you would like to toss in i.e., chocolate chips, raisins, walnuts (optional)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, mix the bananas, eggs, oil, and honey together with a fork. Add in the almond flour, baking soda, salt, pepper, and goodies. Stir until there the batter has a relatively consistent texture. Grease a bread pan with olive oil and pour in the batter, making sure the batter is fairly level in the pan. Bake for 50 minutes.
Eat straight from the oven or store in the fridge. To warm it up in the morning (or all the time), cut a slice and microwave for 20-30 seconds.